Diaper rash is perhaps one of the most common irritants that plague mothers and children both. It is form of inflammation and rash around the diaper area and is characterized by red tender skin. The baby can be irritable and cries as when changed. Diaper rash can look and feel alarming but generally clears up with home remedies and rarely needs medical intervention. But as the saying goes, prevention is better than cure.
Ensuring that your baby is diaper rash free
Prevent the bane of diapering with a few simple steps. It is very possible to prevent diaper rash and keep the baby happy and dry.
- Use cloth diapers from a reputed brand like Fig-o-honey. This will make sure that the diapers are made of cotton and hypo allergic material. The absence of perfume, chemicals and synthetic fibre can go a long way in keeping your baby rash free.
- Use super absorbent natural fibre inserts that keep your baby dry for longer. The dry feel diaper will prevent the moisture build up in the folds of the skin and keep the baby dry. This is the first step in keeping the baby rash free.
- It is very important to change wet and dirty diapers immediately. If you have to entrust your baby to child care set up a routine that ensures regular changes.
- The next step is to ensure that your baby is rinsed thoroughly with warm water every time a diaper is changed. If that is not feasible every time do use a moist wash cloth or baby wipe to clean well. A mild fragrance free soap can be used, but say a big NO to wipes with fragrance or alcohol. Use a petroleum jelly or good old coconut oil to keep skin soft and lubricated.
- Air dry your baby’s butt whenever possible or pat dry with a soft and clean towel. Scrubbing the area may cause rashes and irritation. Cloth diapers can be a good option as they are made of natural fabric and are breathable and keeps air circulation going even as the snug fit keeps the baby leak free.
- Do keep the baby diaper free whenever possible. Letting the area be exposed to air lets the skin breathe and is gentle on the baby’s skin. If you are apprehensive about an accident, lay the baby on a large towel while letting her be diaper free.
- Cloth diapers like Fig-o-honey area good option to avoid diaper rash break outs. These adjustable diapers are the best way to ensure a snug fit around the baby’s legs and waist. Diapers that are too tight may cause chafing and ones that are too loose may cause irritation as they rub against the soft skin of the belly and thigh. Only a size that is perfect can prevent diaper rash.
- It is very important that cloth diapers are washed carefully. Diapers need to be washed thoroughly to eliminate yeast infections and other irritants. Some detergents and fabric softeners can also cause irritation to the baby’s skin. A mild detergent, maybe homemade even is a better option.
Diapering is an important part of motherhood. A little bit of care goes a long way in ensuring that your baby is safe from rashes, infections and other avoidable issues. Infancy is a time that can lay the foundation to good health for a lifetime.