Cloth diapering sounds daunting but it actually is not. It is something that our grandmothers have always done. In our quest for convenience we have disregarded the problems of using a disposable diaper. There is a huge cost to the environment and your pocket whenever a disposable diaper is used. There are many reasons that make you love cloth diapering.
- It is super economical. Cloth diapers last you the entire diapering age of a child, maybe even for the second child. They are a one time investment while disposables need a daily recurring expense.
- Cloth diapers like Fig-o-honey come in a one size fits all format. The sizes are adjusted with snap buttons and flaps. Disposable diapers are on the other hand size based and you may need several sizes across the years. This means that if you buy in bulk you may just not be able to stash them before your little one outgrows them.
- Every disposable diaper that you use is destined for the landfill. They take thousands of years to decompose. The harmful chemicals leached from them are a potential health hazard. Cloth diapers are environment friendly and the small amount of water that is taken to wash them is a far more environment friendly choice than dumping them in a landfill.
- The disposable diaper needs a lot of water and petroleum by-products in its manufacture. This puts an additional strain on the environment at large.
- There are carcinogenic and asthma producing chemicals in the disposable diaper can be enough to deter any mom from using them. The cloth diaper on the other hand is made of natural fabrics and is soft and tender on your baby’s skin. The health benefits are the most resonant reason to just love cloth diapers.
- Cloth diapers are often more absorbent than a disposable diaper. In fact studies have shown that poop explosions can be averted by using a cloth diaper. A cloth diaper can be used with natural fibre inserts and be super absorbent too.
- Cloth diapers are no longer the bulky old time version fitted with pins and ties. The modern Fig-o-honey version comes in cute prints, bright colours and has a lovely snug fit. The smart elastic keeps the waist snug by folding at the right size and the leg elastics can be adjusted snugly by the snap buttons. The perfect fit can keep the baby comfortable and avoid leaks and explosions.
- Let us not forget that washing and cleaning the baby after encountering a dirty diaper is the same whether we are using a cloth diaper or a disposable one. The only extra washing is a knocking off of solid poop with a hand shower and running an extra load in the washer. A little bit of effort can help us help the baby and the environment too.
- Cloth diapers can eliminate the use of diaper creams and rashes. The inserts are very absorbent and wick the moisture away from the baby, keeping the little one dry and free from rash.
- The most important habit that a cloth diaper creates is an easier potty training process. The mom tends to change the diaper more often and the potty training process starts very young. It becomes a natural progression that the baby is encouraged to use the toilet more often.
The cloth diaper has many reasons to fall in love with. Try the experience and you will never regret it. You may take the decision to wait a few weeks after child birth to make the process easier, and the decision still keeps thousands of kilos of non-biodegradable waste out of the ecological system and keeps your baby and her future safe.