Cloth diapering sounds daunting but it actually is not. Modern cloth diapers like Fig-o-honey, combine the gentleness of fabric with convenience of a disposable diaper. There is a huge cost to the environment and your pocket whenever a disposable diaper is used. There are many reasons that make you love cloth diapering.
- Saves you money. Cloth diapers last you the entire diapering age of a child, maybe even for the second child. They are a one time investment while disposables need a daily recurring expense. With cloth diapers you save up to 70% when compared to disposables. That is some serious savings!
- One-size fits most. Cloth diapers like Fig-o-honey come in a one size fits most format. The sizes are adjusted with snap buttons and flaps. Disposable diapers are on the other hand size based and you may need several sizes across the years. This means that if you buy in bulk you may just not be able to stash them before your little one outgrows them.
- Gentle on the environment. Every disposable diaper that you use is destined for the landfill. They take hundreds of years to decompose. The harmful chemicals leached from them are a potential health hazard. Cloth diapers are environment friendly and the small amount of water that is taken to wash them is a far more environment friendly choice than dumping them in a landfill.
- Lesser strain on resources. The disposable diaper needs a lot of water and petroleum by-products in its manufacture. This puts an additional strain on the environment at large.
- Safe for the baby. There are potentially carcinogenic and endocrinal balance disrupting chemicals in the disposable diaper that have been linked with long term health risks. The cloth diaper on the other hand is made of fabrics entirely, is chemical-free and is soft and tender on your baby’s skin. The health benefits are the most resonant reason to just love cloth diapers.
- Fits better & leakproof. Cloth diapers fit better to a growing baby than a disposable diaper. In fact studies have shown that poop explosions can be averted by using a cloth diaper. A cloth diaper can be used with a variety of cloth diaper soakers / inserts and be super absorbent too.
- Cute prints. Cloth diapers are no longer the bulky old time version fitted with pins and ties. The modern Fig-o-honey version comes in cute prints, bright colours and has a lovely snug fit. The smart elastic keeps the waist snug by folding at the right size and the leg elastics can be adjusted snugly by the snap buttons. The perfect fit can keep the baby comfortable and avoid leaks and explosions.
- Machine washable. Let us not forget that washing and cleaning the baby after encountering a dirty diaper is the same whether we are using a cloth diaper or a disposable one. Modern cloth diapers are machine washable! The only extra washing is a knocking off of solid poop with a hand shower (jet spray) and running an extra load in the washing machine. A little bit of effort can help us help the baby and the environment too.
- Reduce diaper rashes. Cloth diapers can reduce / eliminate diaper rashes caused by exposure to potentially harmful chemicals present in disposable diapers. The inserts are very absorbent and stay-dry inner layer wicks the moisture away from the baby, keeping the little one dry and free from rash.
- Faster potty training. The most important habit that a cloth diaper creates is an easier potty training process. Studies have shown that babies that are cloth diapered tend to get potty trained earlier compared to those on disposable diapers, as babies on cloth diapers can feel a slight wetness. Cloth diapered babies are better in tune with their bodily functions and are hence potty trained faster.
The cloth diaper has many reasons to fall in love with. Try the experience and you will never regret it. You may take the decision to wait a few weeks after child birth to make the process easier, and the decision still keeps thousands of kilos of non-biodegradable waste out of the ecological system and keeps your baby and her future safe.